Asian Carp Response in the Midwest
Waterway Traffic Management and Safety Risk Assessment Tools
- Regulated Navigation Area
- Regulated Navigation Area (RNA) on all waters of the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal from mile 295.5 to mile 297.2, the location of the electric dispersal barriers. Agency Lead: U.S. Coast Guard.
- Safety Zone – Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal
- The U.S. Coast Guard prohibits vessels from transiting the safety zone, waters of the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal from mile 296.1 to mile 296.7, with any non-potable water on board if they intend to release that water in any form within, or on the other side of the zone. Agency Lead: U.S. Coast Guard.
- Safety Zone
- The Coast Guard may impose restrictions anywhere in the safety zone to protect vessels, mariners, and the public in the vicinity of Asian carp monitoring or control actions. Any entry into, transiting, mooring, laying up, or anchoring within any enforced segment of the safety zone is prohibited unless authorized by the Captain of the Port, Sector Lake Michigan. Agency Lead: U.S. Coast Guard.